Deanship at KKU
The eLearning Deanship at King Khalid University
The eLearning Deanship (ELD) at King Khalid University was established in the year 1426 H as part of the continuous University efforts to provide the latest scientific methodologies to improve the educational process. Since then the eLearning Center has performed various activities and roles and had many experiences in deploying technology in education and developing skills and abilities of the University employees.
Today, the eLearning Deanship is relaunching its services after considerable efforts of planning and preparations for a new phase in which eLearning in KKU is intended to be taken to a new level of integration and completeness.
In order for the deanship to offer the right services with the desired quality, it was structured to have units and active teams each specializing in part of the service and all intergarte to form the body of the deanship. Below is a summery of the deanship units and teams with their responsibilities:
|Team||Description / Responsibilities|
|Administrative – Management||Responsible for
• Supervising the eLearning systems projects and setting plans for systems operations.
• Setting technical and administrative standards
• Coordinating between the different university departments in relation to eLearning.
|Training||• Planning for faculty members training on eLearning systems and skills.
• Conducting training
• Preparing training materials.
|The eLearning Team||• Activating eLearning on its different levels in all colleges towards the deanships vision of making eLearning for everyone.
• Setting and executing plans for eLearning deployment.
• Providing support and consultation for faculty members.
• Maintaining and administering the deanships website.
|The Web Team||• Design work for the deanship; printed materials and web based.
• Design work in support for faculty members for educational content.
• Audio-visual services including recording and video montage.
|Systems and support||• Supervising all IT related work to ensure a stable working infrastructure.
• Providing support for students and faculty members on systems usage and technical issues.
|Studio Team||• Task of this group to photograph and document the lectures, seminars, internal and external and the work of editing.|
|Research and Innovation Team||
• Supervise development projects of learning and teaching through innovation and innovative practices using modern technology.
• Supervise programs of innovation and researches for faculty members and students.
• Study and search for new international initiatives and best practices in e-learning.
KKU’s vision for eLearning is simply put as "KKU’s people are empowered to fulfill their changing needs and aspirations through using embedded eLearning".
KKU’s mission for eLearning is to enable KKU to improve effectiveness, efficiency, and satisfaction of learning.
And the value propositions achieved by eLearning at KKU will include:
- Seamless integration of eKnowledge/eLearning platforms
- Sharing and reusability of content and best practices
- Enhanced learning and sharing at reduced costs and
- Equal opportunity and even quality.
As part of the strategic plan for eLearning in KKU, the following goals have been set according to the vision and needs, and the deanship will work to enable people, and the institution, and activate good practices in order to achieve these goals:
- Goal #1: Establish “eLearning for Everyone,”
- Goal #2: Empower KKU Faculty to Utilize eKnowledge Resources,
- Goal #3: Leverage eLearning to Mitigate Institutional “Pain-Points,”
- Goal #4: Establish partnerships with leading international universities, and
- Goal #5: Advance Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
eLearning is becoming a key tool for innovation across higher education, internationally and in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Institutions are finding that eLearning is an effective instrument for exposing learners to the tools of digital scholarship. It is proving especially useful at multi-campus universities as a mechanism for achieving consistency in learning experiences and outcomes across the distributed campuses. eLearning using "open" (available for everyone) educational resources is being used to share learning resources across institutions, accelerating the development of emerging institutions.
King Khalid University has prepared a strategic plan for eLearning in the university to drive the efforts exerted towards the set goals.
To view or download the strategic plan, please click on the link below.
The E-Learning Deanship for eLearning has designed and deployed a world-class technology platform to support eLearning and eKnowledge processes at KKU. Students, faculty, and administrators achieve authorized/authenticated access through the center portal to a robust, fully integratedLearning Management System (LMS) and supporting applications and knowledge resources. This LMS extracts data from the Student Information Systems (SIS), and in the future the KKU library, and Blackboard’s e-Portfolio.
It also is supported by the Classroom Capture Application, Authoring Tools, e-Assessments, Virtual Classroom Tools, and a highly capableLearning Object Repository (LOR) that can share learning objects drawn from a variety of international open learning resources and content providers.
The Learning Management System
The LMS is used to offer the courses and facilitate administering the educational process with the different features that make the process and the experience simple and rich. Blackboard was chosen for its high efficiency and simplified user experience in addition to proven success with a huge user base of tens of millions.
The Learning Management System in KKU is simply a website that is accessible anytime and from anywhere in the world.
Available electronic systems and tools :
|Learning Management System
|The central component in the eLearning platform of KKU. Used to offer courses, and manage content and users.||- See references and help materials.
- Get training.
- Contact your eLearning specialist or the support team.
|Questionmark is an electronic testing application with great features.|
|This application enables faculty members to record their classes in video and offer them on the course site. Tegrity is integrated with Bb.|
Learning objects Repository
|Enables video communication between participants in realtime. Sessions can be recorded for future review.|
|Mail and collaboration tools for all KKU students.||User name: University ID.
Password: National ID.
|An ePortfolio (special web space designed to hold information, experience, and work documentation) for all faculty members and students.|
|Learning objects Repository
|Offers a modern mechanism for storing and sharing digital content. The system will be connected to the national LOR and other international repositories.|